CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 16, 2008

FRIDA KAHLO EXHIBIT: REVIEW


I always have to be at an opening, if it's something I really care about. I went to the first game of the season for the 49ers and the Warriors, as well as the first night game of the season for the Giants. I guess it's like the first day of school--there's a certain excitement, everything is fresh and new, and you don't know what to expect. When it comes to season openers and art openings, you have a sense that the people there want to be the first to share in that excitement, and more often than not, are hardcore fans. The opening day of the Frida Kahlo exhibition, at the SFMOMA, felt no different (in my excitement, I even did my hair and makeup like Frida and wore my Frida Kahlo t-shirt). The line of people wound down the stairs, and tickets had to be purchased according to time slots because it was so packed. There were several rooms that led from one into the other, each representing a time period in Frida's life and artistic career. The art itself was stunning and heart-wrenching. Just like people wear their heart on their sleeve, she wore her heart in her paintings. A wonderful added bonus is an entire room with photographs of Kahlo, husband and painter Diego Rivera, and their friends and family. Open until September 28, it is absolutely an exhibit worth seeing.

Digg this

0 comments: